Monday, December 17, 2012

Bob Barker's Monday Wrap Up/Essay


Note:  I'm done talking about the school shooting here.  I'll be honest, the last few months of the year, and especially the last month, has had too many sad moments.  It has been very hard emotionally on both me and Mrs. JAML.  We're fine, but, we just had more sad and heart breaking moments in a such a short amount of time, than a lot of our lives's combined.  For that reason, I have found myself trying all weekend to avoid the tragedy.  It is heart breaking to even contemplate.  Let alone have to keep hearing about it over and over again.  I understand that it is a national tragedy that deserves every one's attention, but right now, we just can not take anymore.  I truly hope some good comes from  all of this and that we as a nation can move forward and that the nation and the victims and their families can heal. 

That being said, I don't think that there is anything that my little blog on the big Internet can really do that would be meaningful.  There are plenty of people extremely more qualified than I to report and offer legitimate suggestions for how to improve the situation that has lead to these types of violent acts.  I started this blog because I like to write (and maybe one day I will be good at it) and because I wanted a hobby I could enjoy.  Honestly, if I could have known what all would happen in the last few months, I would have held off starting the blog until after the new year.  But I do enjoy it and it has given me a sense of accomplishment to maintain something of a schedule and to keep a working site that aims to entertain and give an opinion.  I know I'm not breaking any news here, so I've enjoyed the challenge of trying to write on "old" news in a relevant way.  And I have been very pleasantly surprised by the traffic the site has had and very appreciative of the kind words that people have offered on my writing.  I have always responded with something along the lines of " thank you very much.  I really do appreciate it." because it is very true.  To hear someone say that they enjoy something that I enjoy doing means very much and has truly been appreciated and has made the blog more rewarding for me.

All that being said, this is my little corner of the Internet and I want it to continue to be a place that I enjoy.  And I imagine that there are others who need to see something else from time to time besides the news on the shooting.  And there are plenty of places to find all of that from much more qualified individuals.  So this will be my little place to get away from it and yours too if you should so choose.  It is in no way any show of disrespect to the situation.  I hope all understand.  Thank you.






This week we celebrate Bob Barker.  The long time host of the longest running and most successful game show in American television history "The Price Is Right".  Barker turned 89 this past Wednesday.  He is truly an American icon.  I don't think that there is a person in this country that doesn't have some kind of clue who he is.  He was warm and welcoming every week day from 11-12 on CBS.  His style of hosting was as routine and predictable as the sunrise.  Yet some how it was so enjoyable and entertaining that you tuned in over and over again to watch it.  You knew when a moment of suspense came, he was going to tease the contestant and draw out the wait for the conclusion.  Yet, it was so entertaining and so much fun that you just kept returning to watch again and again because it never got tired or boring.  And he had the ability to present himself as a man of high class yet he able to relate to and enjoy all of the show's contestants no matter who they were.  And he was the host of the "Price Is Right" foreverrrrr.   And he was the first game show host to say "no thanks" to hair dye.  He decided there was no shame in gray.  And he dedicated himself to animal rights.  After 50 years in television and nearly 35 on "The Price Is Right" Barker retired in 2007, saying "I'll be 84 in December, and I'd like to retire while I'm still young."  It's been over five years since he retired and I still miss him during the daytime.  Here's to you Bob!




-It was a very slow news week around here.  The only real story locally was that Judge Ken Pierce and Clerk Vicki Conlin seemed to have worked out an agreement with respects to the conflict over who should be responsible for collecting fines and fees, and maintaining court records.  You can read the the News & Tribune story here. 

Apparently Pierce and Conlin were able to meet last week and come to a solution on a problem that they had that could have resulted in legal action.  And thus these two have set an incredible example for other local politicians.  They had their differences but were able to put to the side pride and ego to work for a solution their problem that was in the best interest of Jeffersonville.  And truly, avoiding any legal action against another branch of city government is whats is in Jeffersonville's best interest right now. 

Sure they both could have dug their heals in and held their ground and let a court decide it.  But they both had to know that is the last thing that Jeffersonville needs right now.  So when they met, instead of one saying "I'm the clerk" or the other saying "I'm the judge" they just decided to meet and work out an agreement. 

Now lets hope others were paying attention.  And by others I mean both mayor Mike Moore and the City Council.

The mayor needs to see this as the best way to run the city of Jeffersonville.  To meet with the council and find common ground for them to work towards.  Not just going by his stated plan of "they can just vote on items and I'll judge them when they get to my desk" as he has stated before.  That is neither in his or the city's best interest. 

But by putting pride and ego away going to (what appears to be anyway) his opponents and hearing their ideas and sharing his own, perhaps they can find common ground that will be beneficial to us all.  And perhaps just maybe we wont have anymore lawsuits.   And maybe his next three years wont be squandered like his first year was. 

And the council needs to keep the door open for Moore.  First let me say I truly believe the story most of us have heard by now about the council approaching Moore to find common ground and his response being "I'm the mayor."  But for the city as a whole, it is best if they swallow their pride should Moore ever approach them to find common ground.  It would be very hard for them I'm sure.  And I certainly could understand that.  God knows I'm one of the worst people in the world when it comes to putting things in the past.  But as officials elected to do whats best for the citizens of Jeffersonville, I hope (and believe) that they are better than me at that and that they need leave to door open for the possibility of working together in the future for they city.

Two elected officials have set the example to do whats best for Jeffersonville.  And kudos to Conlin and Pierce for doing so.  The city is better because of it.  Now lets hope the mayor can follow their example and that the council is receptive if and when he does.  Its is Jeffersonville's best interest to do so.

-That will do it for this week.  I plan on more post this week and if a "Wrap Up" is needed, I'll post it on Friday with the holiday week ahead.  Until then, feel free to comment below and to like the Facebook Page.  Have a good week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. You might want to check out Dec 18 News and Tribune article, New Suit in Judge, Clerk Dispute. http://newsandtribune.com/clarkcounty/x349504810/Jeffersonville-New-suit-in-judge-clerk-dispute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know. A busy week for me, and I try to squeeze in a story, and a few hours after I post it, it goes right out the window making me look like a jack ass. Oh, well. Not the first and not the last. I plan on going over this on Friday's Wrap Up. Thanks for pointing it out Chopper. I deserve it on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't make you look like a jackass at all. I was just surprised as you. I ran across the article while scanning for other news. I let my dag gone subcription run out again. I can't keep up on things anymore! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it makes me feel like one. I really made an honest attempt to use this as something to hold both the mayor and council to something and it doesnt last six hours. Uhhg.

    Thanks for reading Chopper. I know these times (and my posts) cant be easy on you.

    ReplyDelete