Sunday, November 18, 2012

Hostess's Weekend Wrap Up



This week we found out that we are approaching the end of the Hostess brand, and thus the end of some peoples most favorite snacks to be found in the grocery store.  Hostess, which has been battling financial troubles since the beginning of the century, filed for bankruptcy again in January of this year.  A new contract with the Bakers Union was drafted in Bankruptcy Court and submitted to the union for approval.  The company told the union that the company would fold unless the contract was approved.  The union rejected the contract and Hostess did indeed fold.  This means that 18,000 people will be losing their jobs right at the start of the holiday season.  Truly sad. 

From twinkies to ho-ho's to cupcakes, most if not all of us have some kind of fond memories of one of their snacks from our childhood.  Now they are gone.  But, even as people are bidding hundreds of dollars on boxes of the snacks online, I wouldn't bet against seeing some of the items on shelves some day.  The company will sell off their assets.  Meaning that someone is likely to buy and produce some of the products to sell again.  I'd imagine that some where down the road, we'll at least see twinkies again.

The only thing left now is for Republicans to blame Obama for an economy so poor that Hostess folded and for Democrats to give him credit for an economy doing so well that people can bid hundreds of dollars on boxes of snacks.  Sigh. 

Now on to the Wrap Up.

-The big news of the week was the mayor filing legal action against the council.  I discussed it earlier in the week.  And the Oracle made his predictions as well here.  I tend to agree with him that a sweep by either side is unlikely.  But even a split either way will be damaging to the mayor.  You can read my thoughts on it here.  But to sum it up, it is the mayor who has shown and admitted to a lack of willingness to work with the council, and he has shown his childishness in not getting what he wants.  Its going to be a long 3 years that mayor has brought upon us all.

-The really big positive news of the week was the announcement of the selection of two construction firms to build each of the new bridges for the Ohio River Bridges project and completion dates for each one.  The story for the East End Bridge (the bridge that makes the most sense) is here.  Its completion date is October of 2016.  The story on the  Downtown Bridge is here.  Its slated to be complete in December of 2016.

Wow!  From three bridges to five bridges in the course of a couple of months.  Without going into great detail right here (cough, future blog post, cough), this is a great development for the region and will be the most abrupt changes in the traffic pattern since the temporary closure of the Shermon Minton Bridge.  And this time it will be very positive change!

While I'm sure that Riverfields will continue to be a pain in our backsides during this project, I dont see them getting this far without knowing that they were good to go.  Great news for us all to be sure.

-Goliath got a hold of the complaint filed against the mayor, and thus, against the city (way to go Mikey).  But good job G.  You can read the complaint right here.

-The outdoor ice rink will open up this Friday down at the old Tubby's site.


As you can see it has been constructed in the same spot as last year and is nearly (if not already) ready to roll on Friday.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I give credit to Mikey on this one.  It would completely fit his mind set to cast this idea away because it was the previous administration's, but he brought it back, and for that I am grateful.  If the city can find a way to add a few more "holiday" attraction in the future to add to the outdoor ice rink, we might be able to find ourselves a nice little holiday niche to attract others from surrounding areas.  Big plus for the city.

-The old barn at Armstrong Farms was torn down this week.



The barn sustained damage after being struck by a tornado earlier this year.  The tornado touched down in Clarksville in the Wal-Mart parking lot and traveled down Veterans Parkway.  It struck the barn causing a large portion of the roof to be blown off.  The barn had sat like that for most of the year. 

I saw the barn recently and wondered if they planned to fix it or just leave it as it was after such a long period of time since the tornado.  I got my answer this week.  It was a nice little scenic item that has been there as long as I can remember and now it is gone.  No word yet on whether they will replace the barn.

-From destruction to being saved.



The Reuben Wells house was moved this week to Market street so that it didn't have to be destroyed.  It was in the landing path of the Pedestrian Bridge (I don't know that I've ever typed bridge this many times at once).  The house has been the source of some small controversy over its purchase and then the quest to save it.  As it stands now though, this story has a happy ending.  To all the people who put time and effort into saving the house, congratulations on a job well done.

-That's it for me and the Wrap Up.  I'm guessing from my work load at the JAML Coporate Headquarters this week and traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday that this will be it for the week.  I have one post that I was going to make last week, but then Mikey's trip to the court house made me write a whole nother post (thanks again Mikey).  I could finish that one up if I get time, but its kinda negative and I think I can find another week besides Thanksgiving week to post that one.  If I come up with a positive one and the time, I'll post that.  And if there is any breaking news, I'll find time to post that as well. 

But I'm guessing that this is it for the week.  So I want to take time to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving.

Until next week, feel free to comment below and to like the Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, JAML.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kiddo! Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving! Be safe in your travels.

    ReplyDelete